Thursday, June 3, 2010

Part Two: Workin’ Girl


Part Two: Workin’ Girl

So I had an awesome job. I worked in the ER at Cox. Fun times, great people. Stressful and difficult for a new nurse, but I wouldn’t ever give it up. Well… I take that back…


Well, I had to start working to get a job. So I signed up on careerbulider.com and submitted some information. I also googled what hospitals were in the area. There were a couple of options. I saw some day shifts open in St. Vincent’s ER. So I browsed their website and decided I would update my resume and send it later that week.

Wouldn’t you know it the positions filled the next day.
Crap, I was new to this whole looking for work thing. What if I wasn’t able to get a job?! John calmed me down. I could get a job, it might not be perfect or what I really want but I could get something. Maybe a floor position or something. I shudder, but it was all for a good cause.

So I littered my application all over St. Vincent’s Hospital. Within a few days I got a call from their nurse recruiter. She said she had received my application and felt like I was more suited for the ER. Would I be interested in working there or had I decided to step away? (and this was why I applied all over) I said I was VERY interested in the ER but they had no openings on their web site. She said there were a few interdepartmental positions opening and she would talk to their manager and get back to me.

Woohoo!! I was so happy AGAIN! Except, oh geez what if it was night shift?! I did nights once as a PCA before I got my license. Ick, I am NOT a night person. I can do it, but sheesh. Not my cup of tea.

Turns out all this worrying was for nothing. The position was an 11am to 11pm shift. Oh MAN that sounded nice. Sleeping in, being on a similar schedule as John (he doesn’t do mornings) and generally living like a normal person. They said they would set up a phone interview soon. I told John and he was so happy he got ahold of a realtor and scheduled us to look at some houses within in the next two days. (See if you can get off work he said.) I called St. Vincent’s to tell them I would be down soon, if they wanted to meet me face to face. Essentially, setting up my own interview.


Within two days we jumped in the car and drove down.

No comments:

Post a Comment