Monday, June 7, 2010

June 6, 2010

Not everyday has to be super productive.

I did however clean out some old files from our desk.
One of the things I like to do to keep an eye on our finances/plan out our budget is take our bank statements and color highlight the different things we spend money on. Food, House, Gas, Eating Out, Entertainment, and Income are the things I highlight. Then I add up the different categories and see how well or poorly we did. I can also quickly figure out if we're spending more than we're making.

This is just the quick version. When I get more time I also like to break it down more exactly in to an excel spreadsheet.
Miraculously we've come out ahead every month except February this year. I blame the fact that I only got paid once in February and we took a trip to KC.
Last month was a TERRIBLE month for eating out. We were so bad. I'm not going to say how much we spent but. It almost rivaled the previous 4 months total. *sheepish*

Figuring out the budget here, looks like we're gonna be ok. We're not spending too much more here on the mortgage than we did on rent back home. I got nervous because now we don't have John's income. Still, looks good.

Speaking of spending money... do you have any idea how much people want to charge for swimsuits?!?
It's crazy. $50 for half a suit?! No way. Not gonna fall for that crap.
I paid $8. I just hope it doesn't fall to pieces.
I sort of call it the "why bother" swimsuit. After another week at the gym or so it might make an appearance. Might

So why would I purchase such a thing. Meh. I really don't know. What's to stop me? I'm 22 and have always wanted to wear a black bikini. There we're some hilarious designs too. Man, I could have been a James Bond girl, it was ridiculous.


I've decided I might not post EVERY meal I make here. However, some of them are just so darn good.
I was actually inspired by the blog no-meat-athlete. It's nice to be able to find some yummy veggie food that doesn't use hard to find ingredients. Plus, if I can make it, it's not too hard.
These sandwiches were great!

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp honey
1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded radish
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1 baguette or 1/2 loaf french bread
Mayonnaise
Sriracha chili sauce (that red kind with the rooster on it!)
1/4 tsp soy sauce
Cucumber slices
Cilantro (I always use parsley)
Tomato slices
Lettuce
Fried Tofu

I used tofu from the day before, but here's how I made it.
Stir in a small bowl 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour and 1 tsp. garlic powder. add 1/4 block cut up tofu cubes. Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium-high heat saute tofu 3-5 minutes sprinkle with 1/2 tsp soy sauce.

To be honest I never measure anything in the kitchen and I always half recipes. So if the measurements are a bit off or you end up with too much or too little food...Sorry.

To make the sammich!

Combine vinegar honey and red pepper flakes in bowl with carrot and raddish, stir together and let sit for 15-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 and toast bread lightly.
Spread mayonnaise on bread, sprinkle with chili sauce and soy sauce.
Fill bread with tofu, cucumber, and sprinkle with parsley/cilantro.
Drain the carrot-raddish mixture and put on sammich. Add tomato and lettuce.
Good luck closing the sammich!

If anyone used to work at Subway and could give me some hints as to how they cut their bread so it doesn't lose all the sammich goodies, I'd appreciate it.

I watched The Producers last night. The new one with Matthew Broderick. Great movie. It's always been one of my favorites. Mel Brooks is always good for a laugh.

I'm about to finish that Richard Dawkins book I posted about a few days ago. Maybe a book review in the future? Something cerebral? Nah, maybe not...

No comments:

Post a Comment