Sunday, June 6, 2010

June 5, 2010

Laundry Day!

We did buy a washer and dryer, but they don't get here until next monday so.... We had to hit the laundromat one more time. In Springfield we mostly did our laundry at our parents house or the laundromat located inside our building. We went to one down the street once in Springfield.
Not a bad experience, but there are definitely social norms that one needs to know before using a laundromat.
I don't know them, I'm just saying they're there.
What do you do when there's ONE wet shirt in a washer? Do you assume the person missed it when they collected their other clothes? Do you leave it? Remove it? When you remove it where do you put it? Everything is covered in lint dust from the dryers. When you're folding laundry how much space on the table is too much?
We played scrabble and watched AeonFlux while our clothes tumbled and mucked about.
All clean!

After this we really didn't want to do much. Again. So, more time spent at the pool reading. I think I'm starting to burn a bit. I like being outside.

We returned to Walmart, one of the bookcases we purchased had a rather large crack in the side. I think I'm starting to phase out of Walmart. The Walmart here is much different from Springfield. I don't really feel that safe and would NEVER go there alone. Much, different. So sorry Walmart, but we're moving on without you. You're creepy here.

More delicious meals today.
Lunch was a spinach and bell pepper pita quesadilla that we ate up before I could snap a picture.
No link but it was so good I'm going to post the recipe
Hummus
1/2 cup clianto (or parsley because I never have cilantro)
2 cloves garlic
1 can cooked, rinsed and drained chickpeas
2 Tbs. Lime juice
2 Tbs. olive oil
Quesadillas
Pita pockets or pitas that you cut in half and open
4 jarred roasted red bell peppers
1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves

Preheat oven to 350. Process garlic and cilantro in food processor. Add chickpeas, lime juice, oil and 1/4 cup water. And puree until creamy.
Place pitas on baking sheet. Spread with hummus, stuff with peppers and spinach. Bake 10 minutes until crisp.
STUFF YOUR FACE!

Seriously, so delicious.
I added a red pepper to the remainder of the hummus and blended it to make red pepper hummus. Yum yum yum!

Dinner was a broccolli bowtie pesto.
I don't think I'm a pesto person. Too nutty for me.

Looks good though.


After dinner I fell asleep reading Dawkins.
Moar good times to come!

Augh!
Before I forget. While cooking dinner I was listening to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe. (One of my favorite podcasts) Something that greatly upset me was a segment they did on a study that showed that people are more likely to trust their friends and neighbors on advice than scientists and experts. Also, that people have an inherent distrust of anything by the government.
Augh. This anti-science movement is really driving me nuts. It just reminds me of the time I heard someone say (in reference to the H1N1 vaccine)
"Well, OF COURSE my infectious disease doctor wants me to get vaccinated."
Do you think that could be because he's an expert in that field?
Seriously people, what is the point of going to school and busting it for so long just to have the common layman blow you off since Becky from down the street doesn't think it's necessary.
Does Becky have any idea what she's talking about? No. Don't listen to her.
If something feels off to you about a study research it yourself.

And that's the rant.

1 comment: