Thursday, June 3, 2010

Part Four: So Long and Thanks for all the Fish.

Part Four: So Long and Thanks for all the Fish.


Saying goodbye it not something I’m good at. I’m not sure what to say. I love people dearly, but I just suck at saying so. I don’t want to leave them. I don’t want things to be final so maybe if I sneak off without saying it, they’ll not remember I’m gone and… well. Who knows?

ANYWAY. I sent out the message that I was leaving within two weeks and waited to hear when my friends were free. About this time my sister (in-law) came back from London where she had been studying abroad for 6 months. (That was a killer, she’s like the only sane person I really know) So I crammed Kelly time in as much as possible. In the mean time John decides to attend a D&D session at Metagames to get more time with Phil and Brett. While there me meets Spencer, who comes to our next weekly session at Phil’s house. I just have to say terrible timing. Meeting such a cool guy so close to “deadline.”

Finally, with four days to spare I get a call from JT, he’s free the next night. I text Aron and Scott they’re free too. Excellent. I set up a party time! Sadly the photos from this gathering are on a camera to which the transfer device is still packed. They will be up eventually. On a whim we invite Spencer as well. Sure why not. Perfect idea.
However, JT was in Mountain Home and experiencing car trouble. I cannot explain how touched I am that he sped back to Springfield in a car with flattening tires to say goodbye to me. The evening was everything I could have asked for. Playing wii bowling, Super Mario Bros, hanging out, a short D&D encounter, couple of lame movies. Thanks guys, you really mean so much to me. (Here’s my sucky goodbyes again)

Scott, you know you’ve been my best friend forever. We both got a little crazy in college and changed leading separate lives, but then we changed back to being together again. I wanted you to know I hated myself separate from you and have always wanted things to stay like they were in 5th grade when we’d cause mayhem all over the Ozarks.

Aron, it’s been great knowing you. You’re hilarious and keep me in stitches. When we get in our “science-rages” heaven help whoever is within earshot! Keep making the face book posts and help me retain my sanity.

JT, one of the best decisions I ever made was to talk to you in ENG 110. You know you opened a whole new world to me. I just want to sing the Aladdin duet with you as proof, but you’d make me look so bad. Maybe I’ll lipsync instead. Seriously, you’re such a great guy. I’ll miss you.

I can’t wait for you all to visit me down here.

So many people nearly made be cry at work. Hugging Sherilyn was about the worst. She was the best housekeeper I’ve ever seen, super fast, incredibly nice and simply a wise person. She helped John get out of his shell while he was volunteering and made me feel so welcome as a new person. She was both a surrogate grandmother that would give me advice and a good enough friend that I could sit and watch 30 minutes of Superbad on break without feeling weird having her laugh with me. I’ll miss how patient she was and simply seeing her around.

Joe came in on his day off, my last day and hung around to give me a goodbye card. I was shocked! I thought he was hanging around to pick up his paycheck! I’d only known Joe a few months, but we worked great together. I’ll miss how helpful he was, his constant upbeat attitude and all the practical jokes I had to be wary of while he was around. Thanks friend.

I’ll also remember how Dr. Ross paged me to the nurses station so he could say goodbye before he left for the day. He’s a UAMS alumni and took an interest in John’s pursuits there.
I wish I had the chance to tell Dr. Brady goodbye a final time. He gave me a lot of advice on Arkansas, having gone to UAMS himself as well.

I’ll miss everyone, but wanted to give a couple extra shout outs!
Ferhon, you always saved me and never complained about all the extra lab draws or silly questions.
Danielle, you were so great to work with and kept things real for me.
Jen, it was so much fun being around you I can’t believe they split us up there at the end. Probably didn’t want to make everyone else look bad.
Eric, thanks for all you taught me. It was crazy and sometimes scary to work with you because I knew I’d get drilled on everything, but it was great and I grew to enjoy it. Now, I’ll miss it!

I kinda feel bad about not writing to everyone but I’m sure everyone else reading this is getting tired of it.

Besides there’s more in Part Five

1 comment:

  1. It may have been bad timing just meeting you guys, but I'm happy I did! :D

    ReplyDelete