Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 13, 2010

So much for consistency.

I traveled back to Missouri this last weekend, this would be the reason for my blogger silence. I just uploaded my pictures and am very saddened to realize I took no pictures of my grandparents, parents siblings, or friends I saw when I visited.
Sigh...
I have pictures of June Bug and some fuzzy long-distance wedding photos.

So here's the story.

John and I drove back 5 hours in a pick-up truck that has no power-steering or AC listening to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. (A must read/hear. Very well done.) We had a wonderful dinner with my Parents, Grandparents, Brother, and Sister-in-law. After we sat around and told funny stories about things we should not have gotten away with as kids. John did a great re-telling of the "forks" story which inspired him to possibly write some of these tales down.

It's really interesting to sleep in your old bedroom, especially when it's been repainted with different furniture. It all still feels the same, sort of. My parents made up the room very nicely, with an old antique bed that was my grandfathers. We didn't know if the room would be ready in time because they don't make that size of mattress anymore and they had to have it specially made. So here we were in my old room, with new paint, different furniture all decorated like a sweet country cottage. I throw back the sheets...

Star Wars.

Was not expecting that. Ah well, that's home.

The next morning (My Parents Anniversary!) John and I had breakfast with Brett, Spencer, and Kelly. We were very loud at IHOP and had a great time. We also took about 2.5 hours to eat breakfast. After this we went with my Parents to June Bug. An annual Volkswagon convention. Dad's been wanting to get our old bug running since... well, forever.
My Mom drove a 72 convertible superbeetle in high school, she kept it, then my brother drove it, then I drove it. It's been around a while. Now he's trying to get it restored. We've gone to June Bug several times trying to track down parts and the like. It's usually a bunch of hippies living out of their VW vans selling scrap car parts and showcasing their campers/beeltes/dune buggies. Lots of fun, but very hot and sweaty.

We all returned home to watch the USA/England game with Spencer.
I don't think I have to say anything about that. It's already been all over the news.

That evening we drove an incredibly long and confusing way to see two of our old friends get married. Congrats to Bri and Mitchell. It was a very beautiful wedding at the mouth of a cave with a waterfall. The weather was very kind to everyone in the audience. Kelly was the maid of honor and gave a remarkable speech. I was very impressed. She did a great job.
Kinda wish I had a recording of that.

We drove home the next day in my car, a little silver rocket ship and greatly appreciated the AC. Our lil cat missed us so much. He's been in my face non-stop since we got home.

Really, kinda a poor summary of the trip, but I'm quiet tired. A lot happened and I saw a lot of people I'm going to miss still...

No comments:

Post a Comment