Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 1, 2010


June 1, 2010

It’s kinda amazing all the things we’ve managed to get done in a couple of hours. June 1st was no different. Today was the one day in the next two weeks I actually HAD to do something. I had to go to St. Vincent’s for a drug screen and have a photo ID made. That was it. I went filled out some paper work, peed in a cup and smiled for the camera.
After that we had breakfast. It’s been weird for me to eat out so much. I’ve had approx. 3 meals at home in the past two weeks. Now that I have everything unpacked I just have to make a trip to the grocery store. Let’s see how home cooking goes now that I’ve been out of practice for three weeks…
For breakfast today we had Subway. Wow, Subway has some good breakfasts. I ate a white omelet on flatbread with white cheese (plus as much spinach, tomato, and banana peppers as possible) Pretty delicious I have to say. Surprisingly so.
Next up, to get teh intrawebz.
Comcast is pretty much the only game in town. John researched and searched and while they suck, he says they’re loads faster than the other guy (I don’t even know who the other guy is.) Turns out Comcast has a very sucky reputation as far as customer service goes. So we were well prepared for it to go horribly wrong.
Good thing too.
John called their office yesterday and found out about their plans, set up to have a guy come install on Wednesday, and found out where to buy a cable modem. (we were not going to rent from them at $5 a month) He was pulling out his debt card when the lady said they couldn’t accept payments over the phone, you had to go to their office and pay in person. Weird, but whatever. Because they were already closed by this time we were going to go Tuesday. Great, hang up. Move on.

Now, Tuesday had arrived and we showed up at Comcast around 10 am. There was already a line to the door. John warned me and we were both wary of what to expect. The inside was clean, nicely decorated, three counters with two tellers. The line was about 10 people deep or so. They had a large screen TV so one had something to look at. However, I played scrabble with Mandy (beating you pretty good this time, eh?)

I eavesdropped a little on the people in front of us. One guy had bought a new trailer and needed the box turned back on.
“So change of address?”
“No, same location, different trailer.”
“New room installation?”
“Well, the whole thing is new.”
“So you have to sign up for a secondary box.”
“No, I only need one, and I have it. I just need it turned back on.”
“Reactivation?”
“No, it works, just the power to it was turned off when they changed trailers.”
“You see sir, I have these choices on the computer and if it doesn’t fit in one of them I can’t do it.”

That was nice to hear.

Then the guy right in front of us was turned away to go back home and call tech support because they couldn’t help him there either.

Then it was our turn. The lady just opened the third counter. I was happy, maybe she didn’t have time to be grumpy from being at work yet. She got our name and we told her we were there to drop off a payment, we had called yesterday and set up an appointment for installation. I figured we’d be swiping a debt card a leaving. Then she asked us how much they said we had to pay. John told her what plan we were purchasing.
“But, how much did they say to pay?”
“Don’t you have that written down somewhere?”
Large sigh. “Look, we have a lot of plans.”
Blank stare from us.
She began digging around in the desk and pulls out a pamphlet with the different plans.
Then she and John argue abit about what plan it really is. They’ve got all these weird names like Ultra and Buzz, and Blast that give no indication about speed or other specifications. She kept asking us if the person on the phone had said this word or that word. I wanted to say, look isn’t this a computer company, don’t you have this in your computer system somehow? John sort of figured out what plan it was after reading the pamphlet and began to pay for it. Then she said,
“Well, you’d better hope you’re right, because if they come out and it’s wrong they won’t do it.”
So I asked, “What do they check it against?”
“What?”
“what do they check it against to know if it’s right?”
“Oh, they have these codes in the computer.”
“Can’t you check what we ordered against the code so we know the correct price.”
“No, I don’t know how.”
Blank Stare.
Well, anyway. We finally finished up there, seriously questioning the ability of our new internet providers. Gulp, we’ll see what happens at installation. Good thing John won’t have to ask too many questions about the service.

After that John had a nice surprise for me. He drove me to snap fitness and signed us up for the rest of the summer. Yay! It’s a brand new (opened in Jan.) 24/7 gym that’s two minutes from our house if we hit the light wrong. So excited. We have a fitness profile test tomorrow morning to see where we stand. It’s a lot easier to sign up for a gym than it is to sign up for internet.

We unpacked a lot more once we got home, finished the living room and then spent sometime just relaxing. That was great. John took about a three hour nap and I typed up a bunch of blog posts. Part of the mega update.

I finally woke him up at 2030 to ask what his thoughts were on dinner. Because I was hungry and there were NO snacks or foods. We went to Outback on a gift card.
I had never eaten at Outback either. Delicious! That bloomin’ onion was a great idea.
We had a fantastic waiter who gave great recommendations and was no rush at all.
We split a Shrimp de Fuego Fettuccini (or some combination of those words) amazing. Just a little spicy and very very yummy.

All in all a fantastic day. I’m a bit nervous about my fitness profile tomorrow. I haven’t exercised in a long time (2-3 weeks) and I know I’m going downhill fast with all these eating out days. However, it’s on its way to being fixed!

Lil cat says hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment