Thursday, August 12, 2010

H1N1 and NDM1 on a triple word tile!!

Wow, that's gotta be like 70 points!

My husband and I play scrabble.
Or as he corrected me the other day, "Words with Friends."

We used to play scrabble a lot, we even had a travel scrabble board for when we would eat out at "slower" restaurants. Then we took it to the pool, it warped and finally we both downloaded the iphone app. Now we can play scr- ahem... "Words with Friends" when ever we want. However, I tend to let several days lapse between turns.

The downside to "Words with Friends" is my husband and I like to play "Medical Scrabble" and extra 50 points or so if the word is medical. Or was it 10? 50 extra points seems a bit ridiculous for xiphoid (which already rakes in the money)

So when I logged into my google reader yesterday I was greeted with the happy news that the WHO has declared the H1N1 pandemic over and terrifying emergence of NDM1.
Ugh. Can't we ever get a break?

I'm sure everyone has heard of H1N1, the "swine flu" a poorly named virus that caused global panic, the slaughtering of pigs, and a national decrease in bacon sales (don't worry my bacon chapstick is still safe!) Many people are coming down hard on the WHO for their response to H1N1. When it was happening everyone was yelling about the fact that they we're not prepared, that they were not fast enough, that people were dying, that there weren't enough vaccines, that the vaccines were not safe and we were all going to die of mercury poisoning. Ugh. There is more mercury in a can of tuna than was in that aduvant.
ANYWAY.
NOW, people are mad at the WHO because they spent to much money, caused a global panic, there are excess vaccines that need to be destroyed, and people don't feel the pandemic was "really that bad."
Seriously people?

In other news, there's a pretty scary bit of enzyme running around now. NDM1 (If you google this you get pictures of guitars.) It's coming out of India and it's a enzyme making drug resistant bacteria even more so. So much the Lancet published a bit about "The end of antibiotics" (<-this is a link to The Guardian though.)
I don't like that phrase. In fact, it scares the C.Diff outta me. We've only had penicillin since the 1920s and already these little bacteria are kicking our vestigial tails in the evolutionary race. Not good people. Take ALL of your antibiotics and wash your hands!

Simple, simple things. No wonder so many people believe other people are stupid. We're killing ourselves because we don't take the 30seconds post potty to scrub-a-dub-dub.

So, easy take home message? Get your vaccines, wash your hands, and find me on "Words with Friends!" cxJvak

No comments:

Post a Comment