Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Cost of LYING- Science edition.

Dinking around at Triage today. Had a bit of time to skim the google reader. Always a joy in my otherwise dreary life. I came across a bit of interesing news (among the bits of new zombie paraphernilia, school starting for friends, and various drug trials) the public library of science published a bit about the costs of scientific misconduct. Always one for the fun of research I looked into it. 
 
 
They brought up the example of Scott Reuben. Facinated I wikied him. (I know google is a verb, but is wiki a verb? If not, lets make it one.) Scientific American had a bit to say about him in March 2009, exposing him as a member of Pfizer's speakers bureau and having received 5 research grants. Hal Jenson, the chief academic officer of Bay State Medical (Reuben's hosptial) said red flags when up when he noted that two of Reuben's studies had never received approval by the hospital. Hmm.
 
Reuben published several, several papers on efficacy of perioperative nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug administration (like celebrex-pfizer, or vioxx- merek.) the Oh SNAP! can be found here.
 
What I found even more facinating than all this (I mean come on, faked data for lots of money? People have done-what they consider- worse things than this for money) is Scott Reuben did his residency at Mount Sinai. Remember me ranting about medschools not requring the MCAT? Ranting about how they'll accept non-science majors? Ranting about how you can become an MD based on your highschool BIO class (if it was advanced placement.) Well, maybe I didn't rant on here about it, but I know I put it on facebook and John had to hear about it... a lot.
 
Yep, same school that published that data.
 
Hmm...
My science-senses are tingling...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment