Thursday, April 23, 2009

Late Entry- Wednesday April 22

Yet again, I have been lazy.
Well, I don't get my blog time on Wednesdays. Ewiggen and I get home at the same time and I hate sitting on the computer when we could do stuff together. So here was yesterday's experience, and boy oh boy it was.

First good bit of the day. I got to stop someone's heart with adenosine.
Good times. He called the ambulance for Supraventricular Tachycardia and the EMS gave him some on the way over. So we monitored him then sent him home. Four hours later, he came back. So we monitored him again. Right as he was leaving he asked for me to check his pulse. I grabbed his wrist, but couldn't get a good reading, so I hooked him back up to the pulse oximiter.
247 bpm.
That's a little fast. So we hooked him back up to all the monitors and warmed up the difibrilator, started yet another Iv (third stick of the day), and pushed some adenosine. It was fun. To be honest, it was the first time I got to see a cardioversion. I liked it.


I will say it again, preceptors make all the difference. The day seems to drag on when you get a poor preceptor and speed by when you have a good one.
Just in case anyone reading this ever gets the chance to be a preceptor. I'll give you a few tips.
Communicate well. Don't antagonize or baby your shadow. Speak directly and give directions. The person is shadowing you because they've never done what you're doing before. Teach them the BEST way to do something, not the way you do it or the fastest way. Do things according to the hosptial's policy. Explain as you go, or explain before and let them do it. Always be encouraging. And number one rule I would say. Don't ever leave them alone.

Not that I'm ranting for a particular reason.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a crazy experience! Adenosine, the oh shit drug is right!

    ReplyDelete