Monday, April 20, 2009

April is almost over.

Ta-da!
Sigma Theta Tau- Lambda Theta chapter new inductees! BabyOrthoNurse (blogger) is not pictured. I don't know where she was, but she's in it too. I had to wait to get this photo from my dad but, we look a bit like a cell phone commercial, with our vertical assent.


Another day in the ER. Just three days left of my Externship. Wow, it's gone too fast. I'm a little scared to think that in a month I'll be an Intern and have more responsibility and autonomy, but I'm looking forward to it.

Today, I felt was a blah day. I didn't feel like I was at my best. However, at the end of the day my preceptor (Jacob) asked me how I felt. So I was honest. So was she. She took me aside and said that she felt today was one of my best days. I was more autonomous, had more patients, prioritized them well, etc. Really boosted my confidence. Looking back, she was right. I did a lot on my own. It's just a little fragmented because we'll both do things separate so I don't get that entire flow in my head. I reported to a nurse on another floor for the first time. I'd never called report before and for some reason I was terrified. We got really busy and I just decided to do it on my own. Then I took them upstairs on my own. I was scared but... I did it. So there.
My only regret is that my batting average is going way down. I've missed so many IVs recently. They keep blowing or missing, all these old people I'm getting. I can't get a good stick in any of them. It will just take getting my confidence back. I mean, after all I started a 16 g in someone a week ago and that went just fine.

I'll never see another man as happy to tell me he has brain cancer as a patient I had today. He was so excited about it too...

In other news, one of my favorite podcasts is back (or at least I remembered to update)
The PUSCAST.
If you don't listen to Mark Crislip you should. He's funny, sarcastic, and provides excellent reviews of infectious disease literature. He's got a blog I should look into now that I'm doing this whole blogging thing myself.

I came home today to find a small box on the desk with my name on it.
Ewiggen likes to get things for free online.
Today he gave me two sets of Magic the Gathering Cards... Random, but thanks.







One more picture and side note.This is Spock.

He will soon be MY KITTEH! I have wanted a kitten ever since I had to put my two cats to sleep a few years back. Now I finally have the chance. Ewiggen and I have been talking about this a long time. I am so excited. I can hardly wait to take him home. Sunday the 26th... So happy.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I hadn't missed the induction! But I had a bridal shower in my hometown that we'd planned MONTHS in advance, and I didn't get the letter from Sigma Theta Tau until a week or so ago! You guys look great!

    CUTE kitty! I'm not really a cat person but he is a cutie pie - look at that face!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what ya mean with the IVs. I got the chance to put in a couple of IVs in my acute clinical, but I kept getting old people whose veins would roll and were so tiny. I kept blowing them or missing too. I'm sure we'll get better with more practice, though...hopefully!

    ReplyDelete