Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm finding myself at a loss for... compassion?

Here's a bit of an interesting article.


It talks about nurses losing their compassion within two years of working. Eep. That's not long.
I can understand where it's coming from. From a conversation earlier with another Student Nurse friend. She's claiming the need to take the summer completely off and not look for work until August.
Of course I was shocked. 1) How would she survive her student loans without a job and 2) Was this even an option?

It makes sense though. We are all so burned out from school (and I thought it might just be our school) but we really don't give much of a care about what happens. Through school I was conditioned to just get it done, because then it's over. Oh sure I started all nice nice and wanting to do well and wanting to be this nice awesome person for all those sick and afflicted but after I got my face handed to me for not getting some things perfect academically or "professionally" I stopped caring so much and started focusing on getting things over with.
I guess it transfers over.
When too much red tape or poor politics get involved people just want to get things done and on with their lives. Same with nursing. It can turn into a job that one hates, really, really fast.

Think about it.

You're dealing with sick, most of the time, stupid and lazy people. Being an intelligent, diligent, hard working nurse (because you HAVE to be) this will grate on your nerves after a while. Then, if you have to deal with ego-complexed doctors who make it their life's goal to prove how superior they are things only get worse. Add the administration hounding you about cutting costs, and infection control harping about safety and you have a good summation of just the bare facts of how annoying things can get. (Not to mention short staffing, working holidays, interpersonal conflicts or all the poo and vomit.)

After a while you depersonalize just so you can "go to work."
This is why I am so stoked to have the job I have. I love it there. They are so supportive. I can tell this won't become just a job to me. Knowing I am analytically minded I constantly have to bring the "human" element back into my care. It takes conscious effort, but that is, as my favorite professor and all time genius Deb Savinske said, "That's the ART and SCIENCE of nursing."

1 comment:

  1. That is great that you have somewhere that is really supportive and a great environment. That is one of the most important things and something I have been sad to hear others have not found! Keep up the great spirit and share it with others!

    ReplyDelete