Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another one bites the dust

Yay! Finished another clinical day. One more to go then done!!

Today was much better than last week. I had a great preceptor. See, who you're stuck with makes all the difference. I've had a different preceptor each week at clinicals. I'm the only one on my floor who has this problem. Sigh. Whatev~
Not that I terribly enjoyed my day, but it was better than normal. I caught some med errors and showed my nurse a cool trick I learned in the ER with tubes and air.

If you've got a bag that ran dry (therefore sucking air halfway down the tube) and you're going to hang a new bag, spike the new bag, pinch below a port, hook up a syringe and draw the air out into the syringe. If you've got some fluids in there, pull them out too. Then (now, pinching above the port) push the fluids back into the patient. Ta-da! Air in line fixed.

Wow, that makes me want to start a webcast of cool nursing tricks I've picked up...

I don't want to start on my paperwork now, and it's a really pretty day.
For now I think I'll change into shorts and go for a bike ride.
Maybe more, and more important stuff later. I've got some UV rays to absorb!

2 comments:

  1. I totally learned the air trick in the ER too! But I've forgotten it! You should totally do a webcast and refresh me! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome tip!! A webcast would be good so I can see it done too.... :)

    ReplyDelete