Sunday, April 19, 2009

Late Entry #2- Saturday the 18th

I normally wouldn't post about nursing on a Saturday. I haven't worked Saturdays in a while, but I have great news.

Yesterday I was inducted into SIGMA THETA TAU!
It's an international Nursing Honor Society. They only took the top 1/3 of our class, (in a class of 38 that's amazing for me) and we had to have a least a 3.0 GPA. Man, oh man.
Honestly, I've wanted this ever since I started nursing school. I went and researched a bunch of stuff. Being interested mostly in research I found that Sigma Theta Tau was the group to join. I worked so hard and when I got that first "B" I of course was devastated and mentally took my self out of the running. I also thought it was awarded to you your junior year and when that came and went, I changed my career mentality. But I was WRONG! Never so happy to be wrong!
Yay! I did it! I'm in! So happy... sigh.
My Dad has photos, so uploads later.

I almost missed it though. Recovering from the night before (see previous post) I slept until my husband's alarm went off at 830. Eep, the induction started at 900. I have never looked so good in such a short amount of time. So, I made it. On time even. There were poster presentations set up and I read a few interesting bits of research I believe mostly the sophomore prenursing majors were doing. (I'll never understand why they make you take nursing research before you learn anything about nursing. Shrug.) I made idle chit-chat with those at my table, previous members. (I was the only inductee at my place) We discussed my plans post graduation. It's been fuzzy to me as EWiggen and I have waited to hear from MedSchool, but basically. Work the ER, get some good experience, go on to get my Masters at least. Probably be a nurse practitioner/educator. (I love students. I worked with the juniors as much as I could) My original plan was to get a Ph.D and be a research scientist. Etc. Etc. Etc. That sort of conversation

Later I learned, my parents selected the brainiac table to sit at. I was unaware until after it was all over I was sitting with our speaker, the chapter president, and various other nurses with Ph.Ds. Oh, I've never been so embarrassed. Somehow looking back on the conversations, I must have sounded like I had no idea what I was doing, but boy am I excited about it.
Our speaker had a great little presentation on the future of nursing education. Computerized, online, that sort of thing. She had done research into the best way to teach and learn with computers for nurses. It was fun to hear people encourage others to use technology, learn how to blog (me, right now) listen and create podcasts (next project) get out and on twitter and facebook (I'm there!), be connected to your communities. All of them. It made me happy. Again, I had a realization of why I love this and what I want for my life.
Plus, I got a rose.

The rest of the day was unrelated to nursing. Making jewelry with my Mom and Grandma for my brother's wedding. Going out to a fantastic restaurant with my husbands grandparents. It was hectic, but nothing to bore you with at this point.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad I missed the induction! Were there a lot of people who missed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing your parents as I do, I can't imagine them at the 'brainiac' table. Much too artsy, they are.

    Proud of you, Sweetie.

    Mrs. _______

    ReplyDelete