Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday the 13th

Look out!
It's dreaded Monday the 13th!!

For once in a long time I'm not in a terrible mood. I love fall. It feels like fall now.
I had a fantastic weekend. John had a test on friday so he was free to be free all weekend. We did absolutley NOTHING of value. In fact, I think I have a pressure ulcer forming because I spent so much time on the couch...
Ever heard of Amnesia?

No no no, not the condition. The video game! It was released on Sept 6th and we downloaded it from Valve on saturday and spent nearly the entire weekend scaring ourselves silly. It's really fun. Set in a Prussian castle sometime in the 1850s you don't really know much about who you are or what you're doing as you go along. Occasionally, you get flashbacks that assist you in figuring out the backstory. The best part about this game is you have a health and a sanity meter. You're sanity decreases if you spend too much time in the dark or if you see a monster. So you can't really fight the bad guys. You have to hide from them and hope they don't find you. As your sanity decreases the visual field changes, it gets wavy and harder to control and you can't see as well. Very bad news if you're trying to run away. Lots of fun.

It was a very scary weekend. We played that a lot and then watched Shutter Island. I had heard a lot of bad things about this movie and didn't really know if I would like it. I mostly heard that it wasn't that well done, the plot was poor, and various, "It's not scary." bits. Which, if you're wanting a scary movie, then it's not. However, it is a very good psychological thriller. Not the best I've ever seen. I'm not about to rant on about how good it was but I really enjoyed it.
I think it was well done. If you want to think a little, or have a good conversation with someone I recommend Shutter Island and grab coffee later (just make sure the other person understands a little human psychology first!)

In addition to this, I'm midway through The Dunwich Horror. (I guess I'm really gearing up for Halloween this year.) Another in my anthology of HP Lovecraft fiction. I'm greatly enjoying this author. Wowza. I love his tone of writing. It's very intentional. I am in anticipation of what the "Horror" is. Can hardly wait!

For now, back to real life.
This whole "new doctors" thing isn't really working. Sure, they're all (so far) nice and great to work with. I really enjoy the PAs and all, but our patient wait times have skyrocketed since we only have one physician for the entire department until 1300. No I'm not kidding. Show up at our ER before 1 pm and there is one doctor and one PA. (The PA doesn't even get there until 10 am!) I don't know who's brain child that was, but it was a terrible idea.

I do have the good news of going back to working 3 times a week instead of my ridiculous 5 12 hour shifts. Ach, it balanced out well. We almost ran out of money, so it's been replenished. Phew.
This morning's run was set to a new podcast (yippee!) I ran to Point of Inquiry. They interviewed the author of Catching Fire:How cooking made us human.
Good stuff about how cooking made humans more clannish, setup patriarchal societies, allowed for more calories, softer food for faster eating, and the general evolution that follows those simple laws. Maybe I'll check it out at the library sometime.

It did make me hungry though...

No comments:

Post a Comment