Monday, November 22, 2010

So much to say. Part One-Work News

I really should post more often. If time allowed I would.
I have so many great things to talk about I'm not sure where to begin or what to leave out.

Sigh.

The last time I updated was a week ago.
A WEEK.
Way too much happens in the course of a week.
I think I'll break it up.

Boring bits are I worked. Three in a row always sets my blogging back. There's just not enough time for it all. Running, cleaning, blogging then out the door for work. I had been getting very aggravated at work. I was feeling very stagnate. Communication sucked, no one was getting along. Etc, etc. I knew I had three days and a meeting separating me from the weekend.
I really didn't want to go to that meeting.
I almost skipped. I'm allowed to miss 2.
Well, supposedly, I'm the secretary so me not being there would be very bad.
I was a good person and I went.
Amazingly, it was a great meeting, we voted on things, passed new ideas around, fixed our scheduling to match the patient census (moved nurses to where there were patients.) I left feeling like things were headed in a good direction. Woohoo.

There was an EVIDENCE BASED decision made. Yay!
Someone collected data about staffing vs. patient ratios and showed the need for a new position. We discussed, voted and viola! Moved the nurses to match the patient needs. I was so happy. Data makes me smile.

Since that meeting I have received several "invites" to be a part of an interview panel for a new ER director.

What? ME?
I'm one of nine people on a panel to interview the candidates. The HR director, our interim manager, our business manager, four charge nurses, and our trauma nurses' assistant. Then me. I'm so confused. I'm a 22 year old with a BSN that's only been a nurse 1.5 years and in this department maybe 4 months. What's going on here?

Oh well. I'll do it.

More on the nursing front. I took a general english/math test and wrote a timed admissions essay for my Master's program.
I began the math portion in a bit of a daze. I had not done basic algebra since Junior year of High School. I had questions on percentages and orders of operations. It had been such a long time... Funny how basic stuff like that can stump you if you haven't done it in a while. I had to think about whether to multiply first or divide. Silly me.

The essay had to be between 200-500 words and it was TIMED. Gasp. I was supposed to write a bit about something I've done that required determination and perseverance. I scribbled a bit about marathon training. Sounded pretty good.

I passed. Thank goodness. I knew I would do fine. It took about 2 hours for the entire thing.
Now I have to wait for my second phone interview next week.
Baby steps.
I will have my MSN.

1 comment: