Monday, May 9, 2011

This is how you get ants...

Well, here's to having written something yesterday and forgetting to submit it.

Oops.

We have ants.

The 2D character sketch from Archer was pretty much the conversation held in my house...
But we also have a plan.
I come home around midnight when I get off work and I find my "big board" (<-reason why we have it.) covered in a very specific strategy to "Starve the Bastards!"

Incidentally, I had a very ant-related dream that night in which I did panic.

Now I find this scary business.

The scientists found that at solar noon, when the Sun is at its strongest, the fungus synchronised ant behavior, forcing infected ants to bite the main vein on the underside of a leaf. The multiplying fungal cells in the ant's head cause fibres within the muscles that open and close the ant's mandibles to become detached, causing "lock jaw," which makes an infected ant unable to release the leaf, even after death. A few days later, the fungus grows through the ant's head a fruiting body, a stroma, which releases spores to be picked up by another wandering ant

Jeez. Thanks Science Daily.

Now I have the decision. Do I want fungus in my house or ants?
Here's a zombie movie potential.

If only I had a little ant doll...



2 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten how much I totally love Archer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been getting ants too! I'm pretty sure they've been flooded out of our yard, so they're taking up residence in the relatively dry environment of our house. We have ant poison and such, but we're also having to find the holes they're coming in from and putting stuff like dish soap around them to keep the ants from using those openings. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete