Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back in Class

Ah, back to school for me.

I'm in an online college now. Western Governor's University I did a lot of research and found out it's pretty good and not too expensive.
This was my main choice because it's all online and it's a "go at your own pace." I've discovered my pace can be pretty fast, so it felt like a good fit. I pay for my time, not credit hours.

Anyway. I completed my first class last week. I don't feel as though it should entirely count because it was an introductory class to online universities. How to set up classes, watch videos, access their library, things like that.

I've been playing around in my real first class today (Nursing Theories and Research) and I'm already 25% done. Whee!!

I do have a few frustrations though...
This textbook...
Sucks.

A Creative Beginning.

I guess the "Creative Beginning" should have clued me in. This is a load of fluffy---- well, it's very subjective.
My assignments are things like,
"Perform an Internet search using the phrase Hubble Space Telescope to find stunning photographs of outer space taken from the Hubble Space Telescope. Print your favorite photo to represent Roger's theory and paste it onto page 148 to share with classmates."
Excuse me? This is a MASTER'S program not 2nd grade. I stopped "pasting things to share with the class" when I learned how to open Microsoft Word.

You've got to be kidding me. When our graduate level classes have things like "paste to share with the class" as our assignments, no wonder so few people take nursing as a serious profession.
For another project I get to learn how to make a paper crane. Now, while I've always been interested in origami, I didn't expect to learn it in my Nursing Theories class.

Ugh. I'm thinking about posting about this aggravation to the "class community" but I don't want to be labeled as a troll this early on.
I guess I'm not much of one for the "Art" in the "Art & Science of Nursing."


1 comment: