Monday, October 26, 2009

Geocites = sadface

Well, it's curtains for geocites. http://ping.fm/bWXRK

If you're around my age, chances are you had a geocites account, complete with incredibly too long to remember web address. This was in the time before short links too! Geocities was like a precursor to myspace. Or sort of.
My geocites account was something like, "The Midget Rebellion" that was the name of pretty much every half-completed webpage I tried to design as a small child. I used geocities to pretend to be an artist. Boy, was I a poor impersonator. I had a home page which could link to "about me," "gallery," and "favorite links," The gallery was the hardest part, I made a bunch of thumbnails and linked to the larger image. Pretty much standard stuff, but it took forever on my parents old computer. Dial-up on a secondary phone line. Sigh, the good old days.
I think I'll miss the fact that it's gone now. I've probably destroyed all the originals of the "art" I produced at ages 11-15. Now the digital copies are gone as well. *sniff sniff*
Goodbye old friend, I spent several hours trying to get my links to light up in flashing rainbow fonts. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment