Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ice ice baby

I feel great.

I can be anything.

Sigh. Feels great. Just finished running 13.1 miles. HALF-MARATHON!!

Today's long run was scheduled to be 12 miles. I glanced down at that mile marker when it hit and thought, "Screw that. So close!"
I am on such an adrenaline surge right now. Wrapped that up, came home, took an ice-cold shower. (Thanks to advice from Runner's World) and am feasting on Sarah's quesadillas. NOM NOM NOM.

Why the ice you say? Wouldn't it be better to let your muscles cool down gradually? Feels a lot better to take that warm shower and relax and the data is kind of conflicting.

This talks about the best way to ice. But is it really best to ice post run? It's better than downing a lot of NSAIDs. The ice provides that anti-inflammatory effect without kidney and liver damage. Leaving my vital organs more prepared to deal with the post race after-party.

I don't think I'm hard core enough to try the
First, I fill my tub with two to three bags of crushed ice. Then I add cold water to a height that will cover me nearly to my waist when I sit in the tub. Before getting in, I put on a down jacket and a hat and neoprene booties, make myself a cup of hot tea, and collect some entertaining reading material to help the next 15 to 20 minutes pass quickly.
type of ice bath David Terry MD and ultramarathoner does.

Nah, I'll just blast myself with water a bit cooler than comfort for about 2-3 minutes. After all, I am still a wimp at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment